The Arts & Science Center for Southeast Arkansas seeks a dynamic Education Intern for a summer internship at an American Alliance of Museums accredited museum and cultural center. The ideal candidate is a self-starter who is comfortable implementing hands-on arts and science programming with enthusiasm and visitor experience-focused delivery. Responsibilities include assisting with implementing tours, classes, camps, school partnerships, education outreach, and special events. Candidate should hold or be seeking a bachelor’s degree in art, education, or a science-related field. This is a hands-on job and the ideal candidate is a team player with excellent communications skills; has the ability to multi-task and work in a public environment; and is a people-person.
This paid, part-time internship will have a variable schedule between Monday–Friday with 1/2 day on Saturday, some evenings required for special programming and events. Criminal background check required. Job necessitates lifting up to 40 pounds and standing on feet for six hours. Candidate must be enthusiastic, on-time, all of the time, have reliable transportation and valid driver’s license, and pass a background check. EOE.
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities
ASC is accredited with the American Alliance of Museums--the gold standard of the profession. As such, education is at the heart of our mission. The goal of the Education Intern is to assist ASC staff with administering an excellent program of activities which facilitates lifelong learning, encourages participation, and promotes enjoyment and understanding of the visual arts, performing arts, and sciences.
- Assist with implementation of educational programming in Summer Camps and community outreach.
- Maintain a welcoming front-of-house environment for gallery visitors.
- Assist with special events as part of the museum team such as Tinkerfest.
- Must enjoy children and think that playing with kids is a great way to spend the day.
- Must be flexible, innovative, self-motivated, and have the ability to work independently.
- Ability to interact creatively, “tinker,” and foster learning through play.
- Must be able to retain composure and sense of humor in chaotic and noisy environment.
- Must have patience with people of all abilities.
- Must have the ability to interact with people of all age levels and cultural backgrounds.
- Evening work hours are required and a flexible work schedule is mandatory. Position requires occasional work on holidays and days before or after holidays.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Must have valid driver’s license.
- Ability to lift 40 pounds.
- Ability to stand on feet for 6 hours.
- Excellent communication and social skills mandatory.
- Computer proficiency must include Word, Excel, and Power Point.
- Team work is mandatory.
- Positive attitude is mandatory.
- On-time, all the time.
Application packages for full time, part time, or internships include three components:
1. A cover letter which must include:
a. Your area of interest, academic training, and job experience in one or more of the following: arts or science education and interpretation, non-profit management, curatorial, finance, development, operations, special events, theater, or other area (specify). The letter must be specific to how your skills fit the ASC position.
b. Save file with your last name and word “Letter” (i.e. SmithLetter)
a. Print, fully complete, sign, and scan application
b. Save file with your last name and word “Application” (i.e. SmithApplication)
3. Updated resume.
a. Save file with your last name and word “Resume” (i.e. SmithResume)
1. Email three files to: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Subject line should read: Your last name and the word “Job Application” (i.e. Joe Smith Job Application)