Art Collection Intern
Application Deadline: March 3, 2018
Position: 2 Part-time, Paid
Timeframe: 06/25/18 — 08/25/18
A museum accredited with the American Alliance of Museums (AAM) is looking for an intern to join our team, working directly with the art collection. ASC is located in a beautiful building in Pine Bluff, Arkansas, and houses an art collection with a collecting scope of works by African American artists, Arkansas artists, and art of the Delta. Artwork includes paintings, works on paper, photographs, and sculpture.
The intern hired for this position will learn fine art handling, inventory processes, data management, and best practices for collection care and record keeping. Candidates pursuing careers in museums, galleries, archives, or academia will benefit from learning best practices as established by AAM. Working with the curator and collections assistant, this internship will provide real world experience. In return, the intern should bring essential skills to the position: an ethic of hard work, pin-point accuracy, excellent writing skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
The ideal candidate might not meet every requirement but will have demonstrated ability to follow directions with pin-point accuracy, a hard work ethic, and excellent writing skills. Art history or museum studies coursework is a plus.
*Position open until filled*
Interns will be trained and expected to: handle artwork and confirm accession number, examine artwork and complete condition reports, update computer files, update inventory section charts, confirmation of object-to-file-reciprocity, research and ID according to collecting scope, research genre, artist’s dates, and demographics, other duties as assigned to refine the collections area, files, and art storage.
- College Junior or Senior, graduate student, or individual seeking museum or archive experience
- Art history major or minor, museum studies, language arts, data management
- Excellent computer skills
- Excellent research skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Demonstrated data accuracy
- Willingness to follow directions
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to lift 40 pounds
- Ability to stand for 4 hours
- Ability to refrain from use of cellphone or social media for 4 hours
Application packages for full time, part time, or internships include three components:
1. A cover letter which must include:
a. Your area of interest, academic training, and job experience in one or more of the following: arts or science education and interpretation, non-profit management, curatorial, finance, development, operations, special events, theater, or other area (specify). The letter must be specific to how your skills fit the ASC position.
b. Save file with your last name and word “Letter” (i.e. SmithLetter)
a. Print, fully complete, sign, and scan application
b. Save file with your last name and word “Application” (i.e. SmithApplication)
3. Updated resume.
a. Save file with your last name and word “Resume” (i.e. SmithResume)
1. Email three files to: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Subject line should read: Your last name and the word “Job Application” (i.e. Joe Smith Job Application)