VISITOR RELATIONS COORDINATOR
An American Alliance of Museums accredited, award-winning museum seeks a visitor relations professional who believes that museums are centers of diversity, learning, creativity, and fun.
The Arts & Science Center for Southeast Arkansas (ASC) focuses on STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, ARTS, and Mathematics) which brings together many disciplines and creative thinking. A permanent art collection focuses on art by African American artists, Arkansas artists, and art of the Delta. ASC also has a science/STEM gallery with an emphasis on art and technology. The third aspect of the Center is a gem of a theater providing a home for community theater productions and performing arts. ASC hosts art exhibitions, science exhibitions, music and theatrical productions.
The Visitor Relations Coordinator position at Arts & Science Center primarily focuses on providing the best experience for our visitors. Proactively provide assistance to all visitors using accurate information regarding the museum, its collection, special exhibitions, programs, events and other pertinent information. Work politely and professionally with ASC colleagues, partners, and volunteers. The position is responsible for the successful daily operation of ASC’s front-of-house services and amenities at the visitor desk; the dissemination of information about programs, events, etc., and manage correspondence with visitors and members. The Visitor Relations Coordinator will occasionally assist the Public Programs Coordinator on implementing education programs and events.
The ideal candidate for this visitor relations position will possesses the following:
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred) in Mass Communications, Public Relations, Museum Studies, Art Education or related field.
- Proof of at least two years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Proof of excellent organizational, planning, written, verbal, and problem-solving skills.
- Candidate must be able to pay strong attention to detail and accuracy, multi-task; use authority, knowledge and judgement to effectively respond to complicated requests, and to learn policies and procedures and correctly provide that information to visitors.
- Demonstrate proficient in Microsoft Office. InDesign, Past Perfect, and/or Adobe Publisher experience is a plus.
- Experience with Constant Contact (or equivalent) and diverse social media promotion campaigns
- Candidate must be a “people person,” have experience working with diverse audiences, and have the ability to exceed visitor expectations.
Requirements: The person in this position must: have reliable transportation; move, transport, or install 40 pounds; stand for 4 hours; occasionally ascend ladders; set-up and break down tables and chairs; and work independently or as a team. Visitor Relations Coordinator must have the ability to work flexible hours including evenings and Saturdays. The work takes place in a fast paced, public environment. The position of Visitor Relations Coordinator is not an entry level position, work experience is required; salary is commensurate with experience.
Salary range is $27,000–$30,000 plus health insurance, paid sick/leave time, and paid holidays. The position has a required Tuesday – Saturday schedule. Position open until filled. EOE. No phone calls please.
Application packages include three components:
- A cover letter which must include:
- a. Your area of interest, academic training, and job experience in one or more of the following: public relations, arts or science education, museum studies, theater, and special events. The letter must be specific to how your skills fit the ASC position.
- b. Save file with your last name and word “Letter” (i.e. SmithLetter)
- ASC job application.
- a. Print, fully complete, sign, and scan application
- b. Save file with your last name and word “Application” (i.e. SmithApplication)
- Updated resume.
- a. Save file with your last name and word “Resume” (i.e. SmithResume)
- Email three files to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject line should read: Your last name and the word “Job Application” (i.e. Joe Smith Job Application)