Irene Rosenzweig’s Legacy
Irene Rosenzweig was born in Pine Bluff on July 26, 1903, to Pauline Sarason-Rosenzweig and William M. Rosenzweig. Her father — an immigrant from Lithuania — opened the Good Luck Store (later Rosenzweig’s Department Store) in Pine Bluff. It was the city’s largest mercantile and farm supply store.
Her family home, a Queen Anne Victorian-style at 717 W. Second Ave—now referred to as the Roth-Rosenzweig-Lambert House—was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
Rosenzweig, who graduated from high school first in her class in 1920, earned an undergraduate degree in classical studies from Washington University in St. Louis.
She earned a doctoral degree from Bryn Mawr College in Pennsylvania. The American Academy in Rome awarded Rosenzweig the 1930 Prix de Rome Fellowship in Classical Studies and Archaeology. During her time as a fellow in Rome, she advanced research for her dissertation—published in 1937 as Ritual and Cults of Pre-Roman Iguvium: With an Appendix Giving the Text of Iguvine Tablets.
Afterward, Rosenzweig tutored President Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s family members during their time in the White House. Rosenzweig also taught Latin at the Madeira school, a private preparatory school for girls, in Virginia.
She was fluent in French, German, Spanish, Latin, and Greek.
Rosenzweig died at age 94 on October 8, 1997, in Pine Bluff. She left a gift to ASC, The Irene Rosenzweig Endowment Fund, Inc., which supports the exhibition in her name and includes purchase awards for the center’s Permanent Collection.
— From the Encyclopedia of Arkansas